the ablution block

22 May 2007

February Beer of the Month: Schlenkerla Rauchbier Maerzen


February was even quieter than January, though there were a couple of outstanding new beers amongst the few I tried. Three Boys Golden Ale was a marvellous showcase of the under-utlisied Sauvin hop. However the pick of the month, without doubt, was Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Maerzen. This was one of the most fascinating beers I've ever tasted. Big ups to Sam Bjornniskie for sending it over.


Without further ado, the sensory analysis:

Tasted 18/02/2007. 500ml bottle, from the brewery, sent from the UK (in a sock). Thanks to the TheGrandmaster. Pours a deep chestnut brown, reddish hued, with a disappearing off-white head. Strong ashy notes on the nose - Brendon calls it "a glass of smoky bacon bits" and Fritha calls it "billy tea" (campfire tea, not the dearly departed NZ comedian). Whatever you call it, and both of them are quite apt, I like it. Also has a rich background of Munich malt. In the mouth it is creamy, with med-low carbonation and a med-full weight. This allows a lovely, clean, toasty Munich richness to dominate. Lowly hopped, and the ash notes aren’t noted on the tongue. It’s pretty fresh but I can imagine it even fresher. World Class. Bamberg slips ahead of Portland in my beer holiday fantasy. I can’t believe I’ve already been there and missed all of the beer (but I do have a photo of the Rathaus in the middle of the river).


Sublime. See Schlenkerla's excellent little website for more info.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • that's Sven Bjornniskie to you....

    reading this has me reminiscing of my time in Bamberg. oh to be back in Schlenkerla sipping a glass of bacon bits....

    By Blogger Sam Possenniskie, at 09:17  

Post a Comment

<< Home