the ablution block

10 June 2007

The Brewery at Wigtoft

The brewery gets a work out with a double-batch of birthday bitter (a Maris Otter base, a little Caramalt and Munich, with a good dose of East Kent Golding hops and a sprinkling of Willamette).


The stainless kettle on the left is where the sweet malty wort is boiled with the hops. This wort (pronounced "wert") is obtained by mixing crushed grain and hot water (67c, in this case) in the chilly bin on the right (mash tun). It sits for an hour, converting starch to fermentable dextrins.

The chilly bin in the centre, aka the hot liquor tank, holds more hot water that is showered (sparged) through the hot grainy mixture to extract fermentable sugars. This process is slow, to enable maximum extraction of fermentable sugars, and takes around 90mins.

Here's the sparge in action (plenty more room for grain, if I was planning on brewing a barley wine!):

And here is the sweet unhopped golden wort, which is running out of the mash tun:


The wort usually runs straight into the kettle, which I then lift. But seeing that this is a double-batch, and that the kettle is a bit hard to lift when it's got over 25L in it, I run the last 15L or so into jugs before transferring into the kettle.


A picture of the finished beer, a hoppy 4.5% golden bitter currently fermenting at 18c in two sepearate fermenters (one of which will be dry hopped), will follow in three to four weeks.


Labels: ,

11 Comments:

  • Maris Otter - yum

    By Blogger Sam Possenniskie, at 23:53  

  • 67° in the chilly bin - an oxymoron if ever there was one. Don't remember if you served this on the night - the Emerson's Bourbon Porter seems to have taken over my liquid memories. Nwt that was one challenging ale!

    By Blogger Crazy Joe Davola, at 21:04  

  • yes, how was the tasting stuey? hope you had a good b'day night - reports have been good. get started on devising your brew for your next birthday - as you can count on me to be joining you for a tipple or many!

    By Blogger Sam Possenniskie, at 09:15  

  • Yes Terri commented on my breath the next morning and muttered something about Jim Beam.....Bad Headache too!

    JT

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 09:40  

  • It ain't Jim Beam...but's its close. There was a hint of it in the flatulence you cut in the cabin of our car too Johnny...

    The only ales I can ever remember drinking that I found harder work were a Holsten Pilsner out of a 500ml yellow can, and a 50:50 mix of Mainland and Smirnoff that Brad served me at my 21st, and which I refunded a few minutes later...

    By Blogger Crazy Joe Davola, at 21:02  

  • The bitter is tasting pretty good. I think I prefer the one without the dry hopping. Dry hopping - there's another oxymoron, given that they soak in the beer for aabout a week.


    Sam - I'll make batch of ordinary, or maybe a Scottish 60/-, for us to feast on after Taupo. Just have to remember to make it in late October.

    Brewing tomorrow. Just wondering what to make right now. Might make another double batch and split it between an Engish yeast (mild ale) and an American yeast (for a scottish 60/- or 70/-).

    Barleywine coming up soon. That'llneed to age, so hopefully it'll be tasting perfect for next years birthday.

    By Blogger Stu as "Stu", at 10:22  

  • I love a mild ale, I think it is my favourite style at the moment....

    By Blogger Sam Possenniskie, at 08:38  

  • The bitter burped out it's final glass, last night. I never did get that picture!

    The mild ale is in the can.

    Should be good drinking in a few weeks. That won't stop me having a pint tonight!

    By Blogger Stu as "Stu", at 13:14  

  • Better buy some bigger kettles and chilly bins, after all the raw sewerage beers I´ve been drinking lately, I´ll have a big thirst for some Stuey specials come Chrsitmas time.

    By Blogger Bradley Owen, at 09:55  

  • That's a nice looking setup you have there, it puts my paltry selection of stained buckets to shame!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 00:17  

  • Come on now Stu , no munich in a bitter. frown.

    By Blogger Kieran Haslett-Moore, at 21:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home